June 28, 2011

Big people.

The reality of who we are is, um, modest, and a frank admission of human frailty is nice to run across from time to time.

Bruce Hanify puts it like this:
Of all those to whom I might issue the sting of rebuke, I’m always at the top of the list.[1]
He didn't say anything about how that makes him a big person but I see the signs.

I marvel at my ordinariness from time to time. Ok, how about "every day"? There's much to be humble about in most lives. A fair number of people, even those I once called friends, don't seem to have acquired that insight. Beings on a higher plane.

It's nice to encounter people with understanding. The zealotss wear on you and eventually they crash land somewhere. Hanify's eloquent thought mirrors the magisterial "Many fall short of the glory of the Lord." Romans 3:23.

People who understand that add to life.

Who would I be if I didn't try to get in some politics here? So this aside: I like Herman Cain for reasons having to do with the above. He genuinely doesn't seem to be bothered by the notion that he got something wrong. It's just, "Ok, I'll bone up on that." Apparently, not one to waste energy on defending an inflated ego.

Notes
[1] "The Only Game in Town." By Bruce Hanify, 6/20/11.

1 comment:

Bruce Hanify said...

Hey, thanks, Colonel!