July 15, 2018

Blinding, death star-level of irony – II.

Hypocrisy is probably more accurate.
International order for 4 centuries has been based on non-interference in the internal affairs of others and respect for sovereignty. Russia has violated this norm by seizing Crimea and by interfering in the 2016 US election. We must deal w Putin’s Russia as the rogue state it is.[1]
~ Richard N. Haass, President, Council of Foreign Relations.

B’s comment (at Moon of Alabama): “Shorter: ‘Westphalianism for us, intervention for everyone else.”

Notes
[1] "The MoA Week In Review - Open Thread 2018-35." By b, Moon of Alabama, 7/15/18.

2 comments:

paul scott said...

I wouldn't mind Galactic Colonel if you did some exposure work on this > Council of Foreign Relations.
Now two years ago I started delving into the Ukraine revolution and everywhere it spelt out massive USA political invasion. A bloke called Jerry Kroth had quite a lot to say about it. I came out of the research relatively accepting of Russia.
There is a funny bit over at Alabama Moon

The best distillation of the Trump Doctrine I heard, though, came from a senior White House official with direct access to the president and his thinking. I was talking to this person several weeks ago, and I said, by way of introduction, that I thought it might perhaps be too early to discern a definitive Trump Doctrine. “No,” the official said. “There’s definitely a Trump Doctrine.” “What is it?” I asked. Here is the answer I received: “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

Col. B. Bunny said...

I'm not well read in things CFR, though I think there is much gold to be mined there. CFR members seem to be under just about every official rock you want to turn over.

As you know I focus a lot on Syria. The war there is much like the Spanish Civil War, which was a dress rehearsal for the main event a few years later. I recommend Thierry Meyssan at Voltaire Network who, along with Elijah Magnier, writes very insightful stuff about European and Middle Eastern politics. I'm reading an excellent article by the former about neocons and it's all you'll ever need to read about them.

I think the official you quote almost has the Trump Doctrine. I think it is more accurate to say it's "America is no longer everybody's bitch." I sure hope the official isn't right. I don't want any more arrogant American officials talking about our exceptionalism. Barf.